.

Sunday, January 20, 2019

Stefan’s Diaries: Origins Chapter 16

It was the l genius hoot of an owla long, plaintive laboriousthat caused my eyes to snap open. As my eyes ad practiceded to the dim light, I felt a pulsing pain on the side of my do that seemed to keep time with the owls cries. And suddenly I remembered everythingKatherine, her lips drawn back, her teeth sparkling. My content pounding as though I were dying and being born(p) completely at the same time. The awful pain, the red eyes, the glum foul of a dead sleep. I glanced around wildly.Katherine, clad further in a necklace and a simple muslin slip, sat just steps extraneous from me at the basin, washing her upper blazon with a hand towel. Hello, sleepy Stefan, she give tongue to coquettishly.I swung my legs out of bed and tried to step out, only to find myself tangled in the tabloids. Your face, I babbled, knowing I sounded mad and possessed, like a town d campaigningk stumbling out of the tavern.Katherine continued to run the cotton cloth along her arms. The face Id se en last night was non human. It had been a face filled with thirst and desire and emotions I couldnt tied(p) think to name. But in this light Katherine looked lovelier than ever, blinking her eyes sleepily like a kitten after a long nap.Katherine? I asked, forcing myself to look into her eyes. What are you?Katherine slowly picked up the hairbrush on her nightstand, as if she had all the time in the world. She turned to me and began to run it through her luxurious locks.Youre not afraid, are you? she asked.So she was a vampire. My blood turned to ice.I took the sheet and wrapped it against my body, past grabbed my breeches from the side of the bed and stringed them on. I rapidly shoved my feet into my boots and yanked on my shirt, not caring about my undershirt, still on the floor. disruptive as lightning, Katherine was at my side, her hand gripping my shoulder.She was surprisingly strong, and I had to jolt sharply to wrench myself a authority from her grasp. Once free, Kather ine stepped back.Shhh. Shhh, she murmured, as if she were a spawn soothing a child.No I yelled, holding my hand up. I would not have her try to charm me. Y oure a vampire. You eated Rosalyn. Y oure killing the town. Y are evil,ou and you need to be stopped.But then I caught sight of her eyes, her large, luminous, seemingly depthless eyes, and I stopped short.Youre not afraid, Katherine repeated. The quarrel echoed in my mind, bouncing around and finally taking residence there. I did not know how or why it was so, but in my emotional state of mettles, I suddenly wasnt afraid. But still Y are a vampire, though. How can I abideou that?Stefan. Sweet, jaded Stefan. It will all bring in out. Y oull see. She cupped her chin in my hands, then raised up on her tiptoes for a kiss. In the near sunbathelight, Katherines teeth looked pearly white and tiny, and nobody like the miniature daggers Id seen the night before. Its me. Im still Katherine, she said, smiling.I forced myself to pul l away. I cherished to believe that everything was the same, but Y oure thinking of Rosalyn, arent you? Katherine asked. She sight my startled expression and shook her head. Its natural that youd think I could do that, based on what I am, but I visit you, I did not kill her. And I never would have.But but , I began.Katherine brought her finger to my lips. Shhh. I was with you that night. Remember? I care about you, and I care about those you care about. And I dont know how Rosalyn died, but whoever did thata flash of anger flickered in her eyes, which, I realized for the first time, were dotted with goldthey give us a bad name. They are the nonpareils who scare me. Y may be scared to walkou during the night, but I am afraid to walk during the day, lest I be mis condensen for one of those monsters. I may be a vampire, but I do have a heart. Please believe me, sweet Stefan.I took a step back and cradled my head in my hands. My mind whirled. The sun was just beginning to rise, a nd it was impossible to tell whether the mist hid a brilliant sun or a day of clouds. It was the same with Katherine. Her beautiful exterior mask her true spirit, making it impossible to ascertain whether she was good or evil. I sunk heavily to the bed, not abstracted to leave and not wanting to stay.Y need to trust me, Katherine said, sittingou down beside me and placing her hand on my dressing table so she could feel my heart beat. I am Katherine Pierce. cipher more, nothing less. Im the girl you watched for hours on end after I arrived deuce weeks ago. What I confessed to you is nothing. It doesnt change how you feel, how I feel, what we can be, she said, moving her hand from my chest to my chin. Right? she asked, her voice filled with urgency.I glanced at Katherines wide brown eyes and knew she was right. She had to be.My heart still desired her so much, and I wanted to do anything to protect her. Because she wasnt a vampire she was Katherine. I grabbed both of her hands, cup them in my own. They looked so small and vulnerable. I brought her cold, delicate fingers to my mouth and kissed them, one by one. Katherine looked so scared and unsure.Y didnt kill Rosalyn? I said slowly. Even asou the sentence left my lips, I knew it to be true, because my heart would break if it werent.Katherine shook her head and gazed at the window. I would never kill anyone unless I had to. Unless I needed to protect myself or someone I loved. And anyone would kill in that situation, wouldnt they? she asked indignantly, jutting out her chin and looking so proud and vulnerable that it was all I could do not to take her in my arms right then. Promise youll keep my secret, Stefan? Promise me? she asked, her dark eyes searching mine.Of course I will, I said, making the promise as much to myself as to her. I loved Katherine. And yes, she was a vampire. And moreover the way the word came out of her mouth was so different from the way it sounded when catch said it. There was no d read. If anything, it sounded romantic and mysterious. Maybe Father was wrong. Maybe Katherine was simply misunderstood.Y have my secret, Stefan. And you knowou what that means? Katherine said, throwing her arms around my shoulders and nuzzling her cheek against mine. Vous avez mon coeur. Y have ou my heart. And you have mine, I murmured back, signification every word.

No comments:

Post a Comment